Sunday, December 5, 2010

Unto Who? Unto You!

‘Mid-Acts-ers’ have made a big deal out of Paul’s use of the little phrase "unto you" in Gal 1:8-9, to try to defend their ludicrous position that Peter preached a different gospel than Paul preached, and still not be cursed. They have said things like, "He was just saying that to the Galatians .... Look at the "unto you" .... He was only talking to them about what someone was preaching to them, and Peter didn’t take the gospel to them."

Gal 1:8-9 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Peter did, in fact, write to the strangers scattered throughout Galatia (1 Peter 1:1).

Was the message of Christ dying and rising from the dead that Paul preached in a synagogue of the Jews .... "unto you" .... ONLY for THEM?

Acts 17:1-3 Now when they had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where was a synagogue of the Jews:
2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,
3 Opening and alleging,
that Christ must needs have suffered,
and risen again from the dead;
and that this Jesus,
whom I preach
unto you,
is Christ.

Paul testified that the SAME Jesus that died at the end of His earthly ministry .... was the SAME Jesus that rose from the grave .... and was the SAME Jesus that he preached .... "unto you".

‘Mid-Acts-ers’ need to re-think their "unto you" exemption:

1 Cor 15:1-11 Moreover, brethren,
I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you,
which also ye have received,
and wherein ye stand;
2 By which also ye are saved,
if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you,
unless ye have believed in vain.
3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received,
how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4 And that he was buried,
and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
5 And that he was seen of Cephas, (that is, Peter)
then of the twelve:
6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once;
of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.
7 After that, he was seen of James;
then of all the apostles.
8 And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.
9 For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.
10 But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.
11 Therefore whether it were I or they,
so we preach,
and so ye believed.

The plain and simple truth is: If Peter .... or the 12 .... or James .... or any of the apostles .... or more than 500 other brothers, preached a different gospel than Paul preached to ANYONE .... then, according to the scriptures .... they would be accursed.

Like it or lump it .... but don’t try to change it!

This is David Dowell saying, "Think about it!"