Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Q & A Time

On my e-mail (magnifiedword@aol.com), I am usually on the ‘answering end’ of Bible questions. But this evening, I e-mailed a few Bible questions to some of my friends. I am hoping to receive answers from these fellow Bible students. After all, we’re supposed to study, not just for ourselves, but also to help each other. The subjects in my letter briefly covered issues that are basic to understanding what the gospel is, and the men who preached it, as well as when the resurrection of the dead will take place. I believe it is important to be clear on these doctrines. For many years, I unintentionally misused verses. Under the banner of ‘Rightly Dividing,’ I was guilty excessive wrongly dividing in many areas, making two of nearly everything. Now I am admitting my errors, and trying to correct them. My questionaire was designed to produce thoughtful responses from my brothers and sisters in Christ. I hope it works.

Heb 10:24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:

I still believe we should rightly divide the word of truth, but the context of 2 Tim 2:15 (so-called ‘right dividers’ theme verse) actually has to do with the timing of the resurrection. Two men put it in the wrong place and overthrew some people’s faith. It is certainly a lesson for us not to be caught unprepared for what lies ahead.

I still believe Paul is the apostle of the Gentiles, but the context of Rom 11:13 has to do with the cutting off of the Gentiles when their fulness comes in, and salvation for Israel.

But now I believe the main division in the scriptures is between the old and the new testaments, because those are the two things that are consistently contrasted in the scriptures (Heb 8:6-9,13, 9:15-18; 7:19,22; 2 Cor 3:6-11; Rom 7:6, 2:28-29; John 1:17).

2 Cor 3:6 Who also hath made us
able ministers of the new testament;
not of the letter, but of the spirit:
for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

This is David Dowell, saying, "Think about it!"